FTDI USB driver

Here you can ask all driver / installation questions

Moderator: marcus

FTDI USB driver

Postby JePe » Fri 27. Jun 2008, 18:12

As you might know, the FTDI driver exists in two flavors, VCP and USB DLL. The one that is used for the Irtrans device is the USB DLL. I've bought a scmartcard reader device that plugs into a USB port but coincidently uses an FTDI chip internally also. This device requires the VCP flavor. Since Windows XP doesn't allow both drivers to be installed at the same time, I either have a working IRTrans or a working scmartcard device. The FTDI website (http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Knowled ... index.html)recently released a driver that should be capable of both:

"FTDI have previously provided two types of driver for Windows: a D2XX direct driver and a virtual COM port (VCP) driver. Previously, these drivers were mutually exclusive and could not be installed at the same time. The new Windows combined driver model (CDM) allows applications to access FTDI devices through either the D2XX DLL or a COM port without having to change driver type. However, it should be noted that an application can only communicate through one of these interfaces at a time and cannot send commands to the D2XX DLL and the associated COM port at the same time."

I tried to manually update the IRTrans USB driver but it refuses to see this new driver as a valid candidate. Do you have any idea if this driver could be incorporated and solve my problem?
JePe

Re: FTDI USB driver

Postby IRTrans » Fri 27. Jun 2008, 22:02

Hi,
some remarks regarding the drivers:

- The driver we are using already uses the combined driver model (CDM) - at least the driver that is included in our current setup.exe
- The restrictions regarding VCP/DLL only applies to the same devices. As the IRTrans uses a unique USB Device ID that is no restriction.
I also use an FTDI based SER/USB converter on my PC together with the IRTrans USB Device
- As the certification of a new USB Driver version costs more than 1.000 USD there are no plans at the moment to adapt different drivers. -
Especially as the current version is working perfectly in all environments.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby JePe » Sat 28. Jun 2008, 05:09

Strange, since installing the smartcard device installs the FTDI VCP driver that causes the IRTRans device not to work anymore. I'm curious how you did this yourself.
JePe

Postby IRTrans » Sat 28. Jun 2008, 11:48

I did nothing special - I just installed the devices.

As FTDI Devices are very common I am sure we are not the only ones using them - so far I did not hear of any problems
even with the very old USB Drivers 2 or 3 years ago.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby JePe » Sat 28. Jun 2008, 17:36

Hmmm, these are 4 year old drivers. Stone-age already. I tried to rename those drivers as well as in the .inf file to install them next to irtrans. Still no luck.
JePe

Postby IRTrans » Sat 28. Jun 2008, 19:41

Hmm, I think the problem is rather the USB driver used by the other device.
Our driver is around 1 year old and uses the CDM `(Combined driver model) already.

Perhaps you should try to get an updated driver from the vendor of the other device.

IRTRans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby JePe » Sun 29. Jun 2008, 06:04

Solved it myself already. Indeed the old driver wasn't a CDM one. I downloaded from FTDI the latest CDM drivers, overwritten the .sys and .dll files of the old driver installation, appended 1 to the filenames, also in the .inf file (so it installes a second ftdibus.sys). This installs nicely without conflicting the IRTrans. Now both device work.
JePe

Postby audiophile » Tue 19. Aug 2008, 03:40

i have the same issue with my zalman case can you provide link to the combined driver ?
audiophile

Postby IRTrans » Tue 19. Aug 2008, 10:55

Our drivers are already CDM Drivers.

We cannot provide drivers for any 3rd party devices - please contact the vendor of the device using the old driver.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Drivers / Installation