Stop certain relays/different setup?

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

Stop certain relays/different setup?

Postby HeRu » Wed 24. Sep 2008, 14:17

Hi, this is my first post and I am on the verge of getting an Ethernet version of your device.
However, I have one question regarding the possibility to still control a Sony TV through its standard remote at certain occasions (read: my girlfriend is used to it).

Intended setup:

Sideboard, on top:
* Sony LCD tv
* External IR receiver (for the Ethernet module inside the sideboard)
* External IR transmitter (for the TV)

Sideboard, hidden inside (behind closed, solid doors)
* MacMini, running Ired
* Ethernet module
* Xbox 360
* PVR
* DVD
* Receiver
* CD Player

Master remote:
* Ipod Touch through iRed served web pages or the upcoming application

Secondary remotes:
* MacMini (connected to the LCD tv)
* The possibility to still occasionally use all original remotes (TV, Receiver, PVR etcetera)

As I've understood it, the Ethernet module is capable of relaying all signals from the original remotes as well to the machines inside the cupboard through an external receiver on top of the cupboard (I prefer to not have the Ethernet module visible).
Here's the catch: I want to control the TV as well from the Ipod/MacMini so I place an IR transmitter for it on top of the the sideboard. However, what happens if one tries to use the original TV remote? If the signal is relayed (essentially looped and probably delayed?) through the receiver/Ethernet module/transmitter, won't there be interference? If so, is there any possibility to stop the Ethernet module from relaying the particular codes for the TV? Or do you have any other suggestion for a smart setup that will allow the TV to be controlled by both the Ipod/MacMini and the original remote?

I experience an interference problem with my current setup. As of today, I have the TV, Hifi etcetera setup as described above, and use a simpler IR receiver, relaying the signals to inside the sideboard. Works smoothly. However, if I open the doors, the remote signals won't work, as the IR module picks up and double up the signals.

Best regards,
Henrik
HeRu

Re: Stop certain relays/different setup?

Postby IRTrans » Wed 24. Sep 2008, 18:20

Hi Henrik,
that might indeed be a problem.

However, you should be able to solve that: You can use the integrated IR Translation function to relay your codes.
That lets you selectivly pick which codes to relay and which not.

You should only keep in mind that the configuration of the Translation table is only possible using the Windows SW.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware