Compatible Emitters

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

Compatible Emitters

Postby ccarpenter1 » Wed 8. Oct 2008, 03:39

I am trying to get some LEDs to work on my LAN Controller XL. I have tried a couple of different type LEDs and plugged them directly into the external connections (1-8) on the back of the LAN Controller XL. But I do not seem to be getting a signal. These are LEDs that I had for some other equipment (not IRTrans emitters). Do I have to use a special emitter to get this to work?

Thanks,
Chuck
ccarpenter1

Re: Compatible Emitters

Postby IRTrans » Wed 8. Oct 2008, 10:38

In general most IR Transmitters should work. The connectors are standard - positive pole on the tip.

Are you sure the transmitters are enable in the software ? You can use the IRTrans GUI Client for testing.
The send dialog allows to select all parameters.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby ccarpenter1 » Wed 8. Oct 2008, 12:42

As test, I connected a cable with 3.5mm mono plugs on both ends from the LAN Controller XL directly to the IR 3.5mm mono connection on the back of one of my devices. This works great. So, it seems to be the LED that is the problem.

What should I try next? Any ideas?

Update: I got it to work. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy!

I had the emitter about 6 feet away from the device when I was testing. I thought the range would be longer, but apparently they are about 1-2 feet max. Once I moved the emitter and placed it directly on the device, it worked.

So, just for future reference, does 1-2 feet (maximum distance) sound about right for these regular stick-on emitters?

Thanks
Last edited by ccarpenter1 on Wed 8. Oct 2008, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
ccarpenter1

Postby IRTrans » Wed 8. Oct 2008, 12:55

You are aware that the IR outputs are low power outputs with a range of only a feet or so ?

If that is not the reason I can only suggest to use one of our transmitters - they surely work.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware