Control IRTrans RS232 from external server

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

Control IRTrans RS232 from external server

Postby enblu » Fri 26. Apr 2013, 15:43

Hi everyone,
I bought a RS232 IRTrans to control the device from an external server, but it doesn't work.
I try to explain better: I made my own GUI that work on a server by USB port. This server has a RS232 output port: on this is connected the IRTrans.
After obtaining the necessary IR Code from my remote by the "Learn Command" window, I'm trying to reproduce these on my GUI (after button click) and send on the external server to the IRTrans.
Probably I need to add the server IP on the IRTrans interface, but I can't understand where. Can someone help me.
Thanks.
enblu

Re: Control IRTrans RS232 from external server

Postby IRTrans » Sat 27. Apr 2013, 15:36

Please note that you will always need the irtrans SW (irserver) for standard RS232 or USB devices. You cannot store the IR Codes in your own application.

If you want to control the IRTrans device directly you need the IRTrans Mediacontroller with internal flash memory for the IR Codes.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby enblu » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 07:19

Thanks for the replay. Bypassing the internal memory of the device, can I send the IR code string to IRTrans RS232 device using a personal interface?? After reading the IRCode output from my remote, is it possible to reuse the string read on a IRTrans SW window and send it by com port using the button on my application?!
enblu

Postby eric » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 09:17

No it is not. The string from the "Detected IR Commands" window is only about one half of the actual IR code. Please refer to the chapter about how IR data is stored in our software manual for further information.
You have to use the server.

best regards,
eric
eric
Administrator

Postby enblu » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 11:56

Thanks Eric. I'm able to see the IR code in output from the com port, and I saw that only a part coincides with the code visible in the window "Get IR Hexcode".
I would like to work with an embedded system (interfaced to IRTrans), please could you tell me the protocol used to store the code in a way that you can use it for my purpose. In the manual I didn't find anything about it.
Thanks a lot. Enrico.
enblu

Postby eric » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 12:58

Have a look at the document "TCP/IP ASCII Interface" in our download section. Most of the commands also work with a Mediacontroller over RS232.
To access the IRTrans this way you need the Mediacontroller. The RS232 device can be upgraded to a Mediacontroller though. Please contact us by eMail with a Photo of the type label if you want to do that.

The other option would be to take the IRServer souce code (enclosed on you IRTrans CD) as a template and integrate parts of the IRServer in your software. But I doubt this is possible in a embedded system.
eric
Administrator

Postby enblu » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 15:02

Sorry but I can't understand. This is the Hex Code I see in output from the com port.
328A 0600 FFFF 0626 0142 036A 00D1 00D2 000A 0200 0000 0000 00D1 0066 00D4 003A 016A 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 5333 3130 3231
But it doesn't look like the example code on the user guide I find. Could you help me to decipher the information content, what does it means? I really can't find a solution to my problem.
Regards, Enrico.
enblu

Postby enblu » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 15:43

Sorry Eric, probably I have not explained well my situation.
I know that IRTrans RS232 in my possession can't store the IR code.
For this reason I want to obtain all the necessary IRCode through the "IRTrans Software" install in my PC, I'm talking about the code in "Learn Command" window of "IRTrans Software".
After that I'm thinking to shift on the embedded system all the string obtained, and by this try to control the IRTrans.
So I want be able to send the correct string from the embedded system to the IRTrans and start to communicate to the IR receiver.
To make this I strongly need the "header" of the string in such a way that the IRTrans can work correctly.
I hope I've explained well my project. Can you help me to find the solution?!
Thanks a lot, Enrico.
enblu

Postby IRTrans » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 16:33

Hi,
that is not simply possible. There is a lot more infomation in that header. The binary protocol is quite complicated and not documented as it is not intended for use by customers.

In general you have different ways to handle that:
- Use an IRTrans Mediacontroller with the ASCII Interface
- Use the irserver together with the RS232 device
- Copy the communication with the IRTrans device when SENDING the IR Code and use that binary information in your SW. That is not very comfortable, though.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby enblu » Tue 30. Apr 2013, 08:19

Thanks for the reply.
The last way you suggested me is really uncomfortable, and work by IRTransServer is not a solution for the use I would like to.
So, is it possible upgrade my device (simple IRTrans RS232) to a Mediacontroller remotely, or even replace it?? I bought two of them one week ago but these are not useful for my project, also one of these has never been used.
I'm waiting for any your proposals.
Regards, Enrico.
enblu

Next

Return to Hardware