IR Receivers for IRTrans

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

IR Receivers for IRTrans

Postby gheinonen » Thu 13. May 2010, 05:52

It APPEARS that from my own reading into IR receivers that generally the industry uses 3 conductor 12volt powered receiver "eyes" for IR signal reception from remote controls.

So, what is known about the input specs on the IRTrans Ethernet?
Voltage?
Tip, Ring, Sleeve (V+/Sig/Gnd)?
Does the IRTrans supply power to the input jack?
Would the IRTrans input need to be externally converted for a 12 volt receiver eye?
Is there an oscillation or pulse conversion necessary?
Does the receiver for the input jack have to be a non powered eye?

If possible, I have settled on this link below as a receiver because it has the best frequency range (30 - 120kHz) and pickup angle (130degrees) with a reporting LED for the price. I have to insert the receiver into a low voltage Decora style wall box which already has COAX passing thru in the back of the box and so this unit is only 1 inch deep and will fit the job.
http://www.smarthome.com/8100/Wall-Moun ... sor/p.aspx

I own an IRTrans and use iRedTouch and now I need to adapt it to relay my remote controls from the TV room wired in about 20 feet away behind a wall to a closet.
gheinonen

Re: IR Receivers for IRTrans

Postby IRTrans » Thu 13. May 2010, 11:48

Hi,
the IRTrans is not compatible with other IR Receivers.

It uses IR Receivers with 5V supply and an Active Low Open collector output because the IRTrans itself only accepts 3,3V.

Using a different receiver (e.g. with an Active High output) might damage the IRTrans.

Furthermore you need to use a demodulating IR Receiver - a wideband receiver will not work.
In general a wideband receiver is only suitable for system doing only IR distribution because it will pick up lots of noise.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware