How does it behaves against LCD Noise ?

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

How does it behaves against LCD Noise ?

Postby miljbee » Mon 22. Nov 2010, 22:01

Hello,

I am very interrested by an ethernet module. It seems great, but they cost a lot of money, and I would like some clear answers before ordering.

I was using an old mce receiver for years, but since I bought a 46' sony LCD, it began to be less responsive. I often need to press the key several times before they are recognized. Recently, I decided to buy an usb-uirt. I am very disapointed with it. It's worst than my old mce receiver. I Think that my LCD is the problem.

I would like to know if the IRTrans products are well protected against noise.
I saw that there are some sort of "plasma shielded" receivers, but no "LCD Shielded" receivers. Is it because the standard receiver should work with LCD or should I buy a plasma shielded receiver for my LCD ??

Thanks for your help,

Regards,
miljbee

Re: How does it behaves against LCD Noise ?

Postby IRTrans » Mon 22. Nov 2010, 22:24

Hi,
IR noise is a rather difficult problem.

In general Plasma TVs emit a lot of IR noise. Our current IR receivers are well shielded against that.

In the meantime more and more LCD TVs with LED background are on the market. Some of them use frequencies for the LED backlight that are in the range commonly used by IR remotes.

We do, however, have specially shielded IR receivers that will work in such scenarios.

The problem is - nothing is free. While these receiver are less noise sensitive they will no longer receive all IR codes as some of the IR codes fall in the range of the noise that is blocked.

If you want to use the MCE Remote control we do have an IR receiver that is very well shielded and will work with this remote control.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby miljbee » Mon 22. Nov 2010, 22:51

thank you for your reply,

My LCD is not LED Backlit !
So, from what you wrote, I can consider that I don't need a plasma shielded receiver, right ?

If I purchase an IRT-LAN-DB, is it enough to get clear reception from an mce remote ?
or should I buy an external receiver with it ?

The IRT-RCV is better or worst than the internal receiver (or identical ?!) ?

Regards,
miljbee

Postby IRTrans » Tue 23. Nov 2010, 00:25

Hi,
difficult to say. Some "normal" backlight also emit IR noise.

As your other IR receivers have problems here I would suggest buying a specially shielded external receiver.
It is a lot less sensitive for IR noise.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby miljbee » Wed 1. Dec 2010, 16:48

Hello,

I have a few more questions.

I Plan to buy an IRT-LAN-DB and from what I have understand this device is not able to learn any code. Right ?
If I want it to be able learn codes, I need to buy COD-RCV or COD-RCV-EXT. Right ?

On this page : http://www.irtrans.com/en/shop/lan.php, I saw this :

Sends and receives IR Codes
• IR LEDs with extra high power standard
• Ethernet Interface to connect to LANs
• Integrated webserver for device configuration
• Wake On LAN to wake up a PC via IR Code
• Firmwareupdate via Ethernet (LAN & IR Controller)
• Connector for external IR Transmitter (3,5mm connector)
Connector for external IR Receiver
• Optionally with integrated 128K Flash IR Database
• Optional with connector for 2nd independent external IR Transmitter (One 3,5mm Stereo phone plug)
• 128K flash memory for user HTML pages optional
• 128K IRDB Option
Socket for external IR Receiver (Can be used instead of the internal one)
• White cases standard
• Optional with Universal IR receiver. Learns and measures ALL Carrier frequencies. Range: 1m
• New: Active RS232 Cable provides an RS232 output to control A/V Devices with an RS232 input

Can you confirm that the 2 bold lines refers to the same connector ?

Reguarding the external transmitters, I read that they have a 1,8m long cable. Can I extend it to 6m with a standard 3.5mm headphone extension ?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Regards,
miljbee

Postby IRTrans » Wed 1. Dec 2010, 18:14

Hi,
regarding your questions:

- The LAN DB can learn IR codes without the COD-RCV but only with frequencies around 38kHz (36-40kHz). The COD-RCV or COD-RCV-EXT can learn all frequencies.
- You are right - both lines refer to the same socket.
- The max. cable length for the normal external transmitters is 5m and for the external high power transmitter 2m

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware