IRTans USB IR Transmit Issue

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

IRTans USB IR Transmit Issue

Postby Bert.Twildge » Sat 4. Dec 2010, 17:20

Hi

I have a USB IRTrans V3.5 connected to a PC running XP SP3. I only use the built in IR transmitter and I have nothing connected to the IRTrans' DIN socket. I could transmit and receive IR signals via the IRTrans until recently and I have not changed anything on the PC. If I try and send IR signals to the IRTrans in learn mode the unit's LED flashes green on receipt of a signal and appears to work fine. If I try and transmit an IR signal from the IRTrans the red LED on the IRTrans flashes but the IR controllable device does not respond. If I point a video camera at the IRTrans I do not see the IR LEDs flash when I transmit an IR signal from the IRTrans either.

My IRTrans diagnostics reports this:
IRServer Version 6.03.02
[ 0]: IRTrans USB U4.04.39 SN: 13080

I've tried the IRTrans on another PC and I experience the same results as above.

Is there anything I can try to get the IRTrans working? Or do you think the IR transmitters have failed?

Thanks
Bert.Twildge

Re: IRTans USB IR Transmit Issue

Postby IRTrans » Sat 4. Dec 2010, 17:41

Hi,
if the device blinks it should send the code.

Failed transmitters are very seldom but of course that might happen.

You can send us the device for testing.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Bert.Twildge » Sat 4. Dec 2010, 18:08

Wow, that was a quick reply, thanks!

Is there any other way I can test the unit myself? I live in the UK and I miss my IRTrans!

I've found cameras to be a good way of testing IR transmitter devices in the past and the camera I used to test the IRTrans can 'see' IR signals from other remote controls ok, just nothing from the IRTrans. I have a power saving device that turns power on after receiving any IR commands. I've tested the IRTrans against the power saving unit and the IRTrans will not active this device either. Is there anything in the IRTrans software that will allow the red LED to flash but not actually send any IR signals out?

Thanks
Bert.Twildge

Postby IRTrans » Sat 4. Dec 2010, 18:46

Hi,
you could only switch of sending alltogether - however then the device should not blink any more.

Please try to send an IR Code using the IRTrans GUI Client or irremote.exe. They set all the parameters so that sending should work.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Bert.Twildge » Sat 4. Dec 2010, 19:48

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried using the GUI Client but, although the red LED blinks, I can't activate any IR devices or see any IR flashes when looking at the IR LEDs via a camera.

Thanks
Bert.Twildge

Postby Bert.Twildge » Sun 5. Dec 2010, 01:46

Hi

I have been carrying out some more testing with the GUI Client. I'm using a new install of IRTRansTray and IRTrans GUI Client on an XP SP3 PC that has not had the IRTrans software installed on it before. I've downloaded the latest copy of the IRTrans software from the IRTrans website.

If I take a remote control and put the GUI Client into learn mode the USB IRTrans can read the new remote code fine and I see the remote code displayed on the GUI Client's screen. If, within the GUI Client, I then try and send an IR signal the red light on the IRTrans flashes but the remote controlled device does not respond. I can't see any output from a camera pointing at the IRTrans transmit LEDs either. I noticed on the GUI Client that there is an option to choose which LED to send IR output too. This was set to 1 and when I set it to "All" the IRTrans works proprely! My IR controllable device operates correctly and I can see all 4 IR transmit LEDs flash in a camera when I send a IR command with the LED Select option in the GUI client set to "All" or "Internal" but not if set to "Default". If I try and send IR commands from IRTRansTray it still doesn't work though. Is there a setting I can change in IRTRansTray to make IRTRansTray use the internal IR LEDs too, like in the GUI Client? I have options in Configure IRTrans for "Internal LEDs active" and "External LEDs active" but these options are greyed out and not ticked. I have tried pressing the "Reset To Default" button in Configure IRTrans but this doesn't recify the problem. In fact whatever I set in Configure IRTrans and click on set if I open Configure IRTrans again all the options are always unticked. When I open Configure IRTrans the IRTrans flashes red a few times but it never flashes when I set an option. I have an IRTrans v3.5, and I'm using v 1.4.0.3 of the software downloaded recenlty form the IRTans website, is the software fully compatible with my older IRTrans?

Thanks
Bert.Twildge

Postby IRTrans » Sun 5. Dec 2010, 11:47

Hi,
that looks like the LEDs have been disabled.

Normally the GUI Client should be compatible with your device, however there have been some hundred different firmware versions during the past 7 years and we cannot test every SW version together with every firmware version. We do not even have devices with all firmware versions here for testing.

You might try the old GUI Client (irremote.exe) or you can use the software that came on the CD together with your device.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Bert.Twildge » Sun 5. Dec 2010, 12:42

Hi

Thanks for your message.

My IRTrans CD has long since been lost I'm afraid!

I want to use the IRTrans with HomeSeer 2, and therefore I need the IRTrans server to work so that HomeSeer can communicate with the IR device via IRTranstray USB. Is the firmware on the USB IRTrans upgradable? If so where can I obtain it from?

Using the GUI client is ok for me for testing but not for using the IRTrans properly. If I can't update the firmware can I reset the IRTrans somehow to see if it springs back to life? It would be a shame to not be able to use a device that does work.

Thanks
Bert.Twildge

Postby IRTrans » Sun 5. Dec 2010, 13:54

Hi,
the firmware of your device cannot be upgraded anymore because our current firmware versions do not fit into the memory your device has.

A reset of the settings is not possible either - you will need the correct software version to change the settings.

As your device is more than 5 years old we do not have those old SW versions here anymore.

You can, however, try to use the "old" GUI Client (irremote.exe) which is still part of the current SW distribution.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware