What do the status LED colours represent?

Here is the place for all Hardware and Firmware related questions

Moderator: marcus

What do the status LED colours represent?

Postby gregconnors » Mon 30. May 2011, 19:35

Hi. I have the WIFI module and I suspect there may be an issue. Until now I've only ever used the USB connection. For the most part the irTrans works fine, however every so often (and I can't replicate the problem to know the frequency - roughly once a week) it will stop responding. Any thoughts why? So I thought I would try to connect using WIFI only to see if that makes a difference.

But there is no success either. The status LED turns itself off and from what I can gather from the forum, this should remain green all the time. Is that correct? I've uploaded a video here (http://gallery.me.com/gregconnors#100114) showing the power-on LED sequence. The transmit/receive LED glows green then red, then the status LED glows red green and then flickers red briefly. Then another LED (not sure what it represents) glows green continually. Is this normal?

I am using a Mac so can't manually adjust the device's IP address, but my network is 192.168.0.x so the default 192.168.0.32 should work but is doesn't (ie. wont ping), and there is no reference to the device in my logs. I have even tried a DHCP mapping entry to the MAC address, but no luck there either. I also tried to reset the device (which is why it's out of it's case) by putting jumper on the two pins closest to the status LED (I hope that was correct). Can you make any suggestions for steps to take to improve my devices reliability.
I am using a Mac Mini 2.4 Core Duo, with iRed v2.1.2. Thanks in advance.
gregconnors

Re: What do the status LED colours represent?

Postby IRTrans » Mon 30. May 2011, 23:27

Hi,
regarding your questions:

No idea why the device stops responding when used via USB. Perhaps it helps to try a different USB cable or USB port. Are you using our power supply? Which plug adaptor and voltage setting are you using?

The blinking of the LEDs is default.

The WLAN Device cannot configure itself for your network - you will need to enter your network SSID and WLAN password before you can access it via WLAN.
To do that you will need to use the PC (Windows SW) first.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby gregconnors » Wed 8. Jun 2011, 00:50

Hi. Sorry the delay in responding.

I am using a 9V 500mA adapter. It seems to be within spec and operating normally.

I'm sorry that it didn't occur to me about the SSID and password issue (obvious when you pointed it out :oops: ). Being Mac only was an issue. I had to buy Parallels and use your Windows software to configure the network connection. But, all is well now. I have the WIFI unit working well and, fingers crossed, I have not yet had the 'connection dropped' issue I had before.

I realise, now that it's working, that the status LED should be a constant green only with a successful LAN connection (which is why mine wasn't green).

I'm curious; it just occurred to me, if I had temporarily made my network open (that is, no password required), would the WIFI unit have found the network DHCP so I could have configured using a web browser? Just a thought.

Thanks for your help and super fast response. It's very much appreciated.
Greg
gregconnors

Postby IRTrans » Wed 8. Jun 2011, 01:21

Hi Greg,
the device will not be able to configure itself for WLAN even if it is open.

The reason is very simple: Even if there is no encryption the SSID of the network needs to be known.
It is not possible to have a WLAN device that is working without configuration.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby gregconnors » Wed 8. Jun 2011, 02:37

Thanks again. I understand.
gregconnors

Return to Hardware