IRtrans Ethernet with DB slow

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

IRtrans Ethernet with DB slow

Postby quimi » Wed 9. Nov 2011, 15:39

Hi,

I'm using an IRtrans ethernet with DB to translate the TV remote signals and to control the surround sound system and a XBMC (linux).

TV: panasonic TX-L37E30E
5.1 sound system: Logitech Z906

I have learned all the keys from the TV and 5.1 remotes succesfully. Then I have set-up IRTrans device to translate some keys from TV remote into 5.1 remote signals (e.g. Mute key from TV remote -> mute also the sound system). Finally, I have set-up my HTPC (linux XBMC) to work with some useless keys from the TV remote.

I have found that to control the HTPC is very slow. I have tried to change timeouts, but if I decrease timeout, the translation doesn't work.

I read that could be the lenght of the remote signals, but the TV remote works well with the TV (it's faster than IRtrans+HTPC).

I have learned IR codes directly with Timming. I don't know if raw codes could speed up, or if there are some timeout configuration that could go faster and with working translation.

Could you help me?

Thanks,
Quimi
quimi

Re: IRtrans Ethernet with DB slow

Postby IRTrans » Wed 9. Nov 2011, 20:53

Hi,
no idea, in general the Translation is quite fast.

However, please note that this kind of IR Translation will always be slower than using the original remote. At first the IR Code has to be received and then the 2nd code is sent.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby quimi » Thu 10. Nov 2011, 08:04

Hi,

I'm sorry, maybe I haven't explained correctly.

The problem isn't translation. Translation time it's acceptable because I only touch the sound system to adjust volume levels and to select sound input.
The problem is with using XBMC with the TV remote. It's very slow, and if you press the buttons fast only responds 1 of 10 keypresses.
I can speed up a litle XBMC response decreasing timeouts, but then the translation doesn't work.
It's possible that the TV remote IR signals could be long or complicated, but I think that maybe with some correct settings it could go faster.

My switch detects my IRtrans Ethernet as 10Mbps device. I don't know if this is normal and if this could be the cause of slow response.
I have tried with 2 switches because when I connect irtrans directly to my VDSL router/switch, the router hangs and I have to power down and up it. Now I have a 10/100Mbps switch with Irtrans and HTPC connected to the router. This second switch detects Irtrans as a 10Mbps device.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Quimi
quimi

Postby IRTrans » Thu 10. Nov 2011, 13:37

Hi,
hmm, difficult to say. I would try to use a different remote control. Some remote controls are repeating slow or we can not detect the repeats very well.
RC5 or RC6 remotes (e.g. Microsoft Mediacenter Remote) work very well and repeat fast.

It is normal that the IRTrans connects as a 10 MBit device. It is configured for 10 MBit by default due to thermal considerations. As the data packages are very small there is no difference in speed between 10 and 100 MBit.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

[SOLVED] Re: IRtrans Ethernet with DB slow

Postby quimi » Thu 17. Nov 2011, 10:34

Hi,

It isn't a problem with slow repeating. I've tried to use other remotes (nor Microsoft Mediacenter Remote) with the same result.

After testing speed with irw, I found that IRtrans speed wasn't the problem. Seems the problem came from lirc communication to XBMC (it's slow in my system, I don't know the reason).

A lot of googling later I discovered that exist an IRtrans XBMC plugin. Nobody explain how to use it, but with imagination:
- I tried to modify remotes/apps.conf
- start irserver with "-xbmc -no_lirc" parameters
- delete Lircmap.xml from XBMC configuration directory
and the problem was solved. Now my TV remote works fast and fine.

Thanks,
Quimi

PD: I know that IRtrans XBMC plugin is new and you hasn't had enough time to include at the users manual. But in my opinion could be more useful and easier to maintain to have a WIKI or/and a HOW-TO/FAQ page with tips, tricks, examples and successful cases. It could be an added value to your great product.
quimi

Postby IRTrans » Thu 17. Nov 2011, 12:53

Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately we are faster coding new stuff than documenting it ...

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby rieper2 » Mon 5. Dec 2011, 22:11

Hi,

I am also trying to make IRTrans work with XBMC. Could you post your apps.cfg file quimi?
This would be a great help...

Kind regars
rieper2

Postby IRTrans » Mon 5. Dec 2011, 23:06

Hi,
the current SW available for Download from our website contains the needed apps.cfg.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby chojin » Tue 31. Jan 2012, 09:47

I have downloaded the latest irserver software for Linux from the download page, however the included apps.cfg file is empty and the irserver64 syntax help doesn't list the -xbmc parameter. Is it supported with this irserver? Where can I find the example apps.cfg file?

Sidenote, the command /usr/local/irtrans/irserver doesn't start the /usr/local/irtrans/irserver64 on my x86_64 ubuntu system. It just says command not found when running, so I assume it doesn't find the irserver64 executable ?
chojin

Postby IRTrans » Tue 31. Jan 2012, 14:24

Hi,
you can download and install the Windows SW release - it contains the needed apps.cfg.

No idea why the irserver64 does not start - normally it will start the irserver64 in the same directory. Maybe you need to add "." to your PATH.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Next

Return to Ethernet