How do I simulate holding a button down.

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

How do I simulate holding a button down.

Postby DrBob » Wed 4. Jul 2012, 13:23

I am using the TCP/IP interface with Learned hex commands.

How can I simulate holding a button down (ie send one command to start transmitting the signal and a second command to simulate release of the button.
EG Should I learn the command with "Alearn " and transmit "Asndhex R99H3A0120000..." to start the transmission and then colse the port to stop the signal?
DrBob

Re: How do I simulate holding a button down.

Postby IRTrans » Wed 4. Jul 2012, 14:33

Hi,
due to safety reasons we do not support continues sending of an IR Code. In case the connection breaks down or another error happens the Stop code might get lost and the IR Code might damage equipment (e.g. a Volume Up code that is send forever).

There are two ways to handle that:

- You can learn a long Button press using the special Long Button Press option
- You can repeat sending the IR Code

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby DrBob » Tue 17. Jul 2012, 08:52

Thanks for the info. We want to emulate the GEWA '!S" command with transmission controlled in real time. In the GEWA implementation we send "!S_mm_rr" setting the repeat count rr to 'FF'. This gives an upper limit safety cutout. We then send a '!' character to terminate the transmission early.

Is anything similar in your protocol, eg "Alearn M1<cr>" to learn the code with repeats and then "Asndhex RFFH......<cr>" to start transmission and send something (eg empty Asndhex command or close the port) to terminate early. Is the repeat count specified in hex? What is the upper limit?

Thanks
DrBob

Postby IRTrans » Tue 17. Jul 2012, 12:25

Hi,
it is not possible to terminate a running repeat. The repeat / IR Code will always be finished.

The max. Repeat Count is 127. The value is a decimal value. Please note that a "normal" IR Code has a max. length of around 1.5s. If a longer code is sent the internal Watchdog will reset the IRTrans device for security reasons.

If the code is learned with the "Long Code" option set AND the learned code itself is longer than 1.5s longer repeats are possible.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby DrBob » Tue 17. Jul 2012, 12:58

Thanks
DrBob

Return to Ethernet