DCHP - Not Surviving Power Reset

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

DCHP - Not Surviving Power Reset

Postby iRTransUser » Mon 7. Sep 2009, 23:21

Hi,

Just taken delivery of LAN Controller and 3 Ethernet PoE... love them... worked out of the box with no config to send IR around the house. Great. Significantly exceeded my expectations.

A few minor problems...hoping I can get some help with... first:

My network is using the IP address range 192.168.1.x - so all the devices defaulted to 192.168.0.32 on first power on. No problem used IR Trans IP Assign GUI to set them to use DHCP. When I press "set-IP" the DHCP server successfully gives each devices a 192.168.1.x address.

Then I logged into each device's web page and successfully reset passwords, set an NTP server address, timezone, DST etc. etc. Confirmed the "Use DHCP" check mark is there on the IP Settings page.

But when I power off any one of the devices it doesn't find the DHCP server the IP address resets back to 192.168.0.32 and I have to use IR Trans IP Assign GUI to get them to get a 192.168.1.x address.

I confirmed all other settings are stored correctly and do survive a power reset.

Is it because my DHCP server is on a different sub-net (192.168.1.x) to the one the IRTrans devices DHCP request is being sent from (192.168.0.x)? But I thought the whole point of DHCP is it shouldn't be constrained in this way...otherwise it DHCP wouldn't be much good!

My DHCP server successfully serves up IP addresses for 20+ other devices without problems.

Any ideas?
iRTransUser

Re: DCHP - Not Surviving Power Reset

Postby IRTrans » Mon 7. Sep 2009, 23:28

Hi,
hmm, strange effect - normally DHCP works without problems. Maybe there is an incompatibility with your DHCP server.
Without analyzing the data traffic between the DHCP server and the IRTrans devices it is very difficult to say what causes this problem.

Therefore I would suggest to use fixed IP addresses for the IRTrans devices - that will be better with regards to addressing the devices anyway.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby iRTransUser » Tue 8. Sep 2009, 12:42

IRTrans wrote:Hi,
Maybe there is an incompatibility with your DHCP server.
Without analyzing the data traffic between the DHCP server and the IRTrans devices it is very difficult to say what causes this problem.

Can you tell me how I can provide you with traffic data between the DHCP server and the IRTrans devices? I'm curious to see if my DHCP server isn't working correctly...

Its odd that it does work when I do push the "setIP" button in the IP Assign GUI

In the mean time I've given the devices fixed IPs
iRTransUser

Postby IRTrans » Tue 8. Sep 2009, 14:24

Tracking such a problem remotely is very complicated as we might need dozens of IP Dumps to find what the problem is.

Using fixed IPs is the best way if you have multiple devices anyways - otherwise the IPs might change and the order of the devices might change, too.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby rumor » Sat 5. Jun 2010, 23:33

Same problem here. Switched to a new router, every device in the house gets a DHCP address consistently from it but now irtrans fails to acquire it.

Old router (no problems) Apple Time Capsule, gen 1
New router (only problem with irtrans) linksys wrt54gtm with dd-wrt firmware

I've had to set irtrans to static IP as a "fix".
rumor

Postby IRTrans » Sun 6. Jun 2010, 00:57

Hmm, difficult to tell and debug ...

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby iRTransUser » Mon 7. Jun 2010, 16:11

rumor wrote: linksys wrt54gtm with dd-wrt firmware.

Interestingly my DHCP server is also dd-wrt running on linksys. Since dd-wrt is the most common open source router software used could you investigate? IRTrans is the only device I have ever had problems with getting a DHCP address.
iRTransUser

Postby IRTrans » Mon 7. Jun 2010, 17:36

We will need to see if we can get such a device somewhere.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby iRTransUser » Mon 7. Jun 2010, 17:40

There are hundreds of routers which are supported by dd-wrt - type in part of the manufactruer name here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database or consult this list... http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

I'd be shocked if you didn't have a router that couldn't be flashed with dd-wrt...
iRTransUser

Postby IRTrans » Tue 8. Jun 2010, 11:23

We are not using any wireless routers here as we have an infrastructure with firewall and DMZ.

The only device we have here is a Linksys WRV54G - and that is not supported by dd-wrt.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Next

Return to Ethernet