Question regarding which equipment to purchase

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

Question regarding which equipment to purchase

Postby DannyS2009 » Sat 14. Nov 2009, 14:30

Hi all,

I got some questions regarding selecting the right LAN IRtrans module i need to purchase. So many options and this is confusing me.

I want to accomplish the following:

I like to purchase an IRtrans LAN module for use with my IPod touch and IRedTouch applet to control my DVD, TV, Tuner and possible other equipment as an alternative to get rid of the remotes required for this equipment. There are 5 remotes on my table now and this is crazy.
The reason why i do not go the universal remote is because i also control my HTPC with my IPod and universal remotes still cannot communicate properly with PC's. besides that i like to arrange my own buttons and leave rarely used buttons out to keep my ionterface clean and tidy.
I do not have a MAC so MAC software is not required.
I like the idea of programming the IPod touch with IR codes through the IRTrans module, nice and clean. Saw an example video on the Ired site and this looked very easy with the LAN IRTrans module.
I also like one external IR transmitter that i can install 3-4 meter away from the LAN module. I can then hide the transmitter out of sight and high enough so it is in line with my equipment located 4 meters from the transmitter.

Questions:

1. What LAN module will work for me, i was thinking about the Ethernet PoE module. Am i correct this will serve my purpose and also if one external transmitter is used the Power over ethernet option would make a separate power supply not required. The internal transmitter wil not be used so maybe it can be switched off to limit power requirement?
2. Regarding the external transmitter, does this come complete with a length of wire or is it just the IR module with a 3.5 mm phoneplug and can i use normal 3.5 mm phoneplug extensioncord to get some cable length. ( I read on this forum a maximum length of 5 m is advised)
3. Is it an advantage for my specific needs to purchase a module with IR database and HTML memory or is this not required since i need to learn the codes with my IPod touch anyway?
4. Is a normal IR transmitter sufficient to reach 4-5 meter or do i require a high power transmitter?
5. I am confused about the external transmitter options for my purpose do i need 2-way, 4-way etc. or is 1-way the correct transmitter for me?

That's it. Hope you guys can help me out.
I am really looking forward to get rid of my remotes and use my IPod touch to get control over my equipment in addition to control of my HTPC allready in place.

Best regards,

Danny
DannyS2009

Re: Question regarding which equipment to purchase

Postby IRTrans » Sun 15. Nov 2009, 11:46

Hi,
regarding your questions:

1. The IRTrans PoE device is fine. An external power supply is not needed - even with an external transmitter PoE will, of course, power the device.

2. The external transmitters do have a cable of 1m (High Power Transmitter) or 1,8m (Stick On Trasmitters). Extending the cables of the
High power Transmitters to more than 2m might not work as they use very high current.

3. For your application you will not need the IRDB version with IR/HTML memory.

4. The "normal" transmitters only have a range of 20-50cm. They are made to be sticked on the devices you want to control.
For a range of 4-5m you will need the High Power Transmitters.

5. The 1,2,4,6 way transmitters are 1,2,4 or 6 stick on LEDs to stick them onto your devices.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby DannyS2009 » Sun 15. Nov 2009, 13:01

Thanks for your reply.

One more question before i decide and order:

With HTML memory would it be possible to create and store batch commands.

For instance, when i want to watch a movie i like to press one button on the Ipod and then in sequence switch on TV - sound system - change channel to my pc input and startup media center on my pc instead of separately turn tv on, turn sound system on, change channel and open media center on the pc. So i would create a code to run a html batch that in sequence runs multiple commands.

Just to make sure, i was under impression that i would need html memory in order to do this to store the batch sequences i like to run..
If i am wrong can you explain if this is possible and what i would need.

Wonderfull stuff, i can wait to get my hands on this.

Best regards, Danny
DannyS2009

Postby IRTrans » Sun 15. Nov 2009, 23:24

When you are using the iRedTouch SW Macros can be defined within iRedTouch - no IR/HTML Memory is needed for that.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby DannyS2009 » Mon 16. Nov 2009, 09:40

Thanks very much, i will place my order today.

Regards, danny
DannyS2009

Return to Ethernet