Using an External Receiver

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

Using an External Receiver

Postby SD_Surf » Fri 11. Jun 2010, 20:48

I am using an V2.3 Ethernet device and wish to use an external receiver. The Ethernel users manual states "If the external receiver is used, the internal receiver has to be disabled by removing the small red jumper located behind the internal receiver." I can not locate the referenced jumper on the PC board. Please advise.
SD_Surf

Re: Using an External Receiver

Postby IRTrans » Fri 11. Jun 2010, 22:03

Hi,
sorry, the manual is not up to date in that respect: The IRTrans LAN 2.3 devices can select the external receiver electronically.
That is done using the Web Interface or GUI Client.

Please note that there is no standard for IR receivers. It is therefore unlikely that an IR receiver not made by us is compatible.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby SD_Surf » Sat 12. Jun 2010, 00:30

Thanks for the quick response!

I have a URC programmable remote control that communicates via RF signal with a base station to which six addressable IR flashers can be controlled. Each can have its IR output level adjusted as required.

I was planning originally to optically couple a flasher to the Ethernet device as I have in the past with a USB device I had previously used successfully. Then I got the bright idea to connect the IR flasher output of the base station directly to the IR external receiver input of the Ethernet device.

Is there a possibility this will work? Or should I stick with the IR flasher to Ethernet device internal receiver approach?

Regards
SD_Surf

Postby IRTrans » Sat 12. Jun 2010, 00:50

Hi,
that will never work. Apart from electrical problems the IRTrans needs a demodulating receiver whereas the IR output of the RF Transmitter is modulated.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby SD_Surf » Sat 12. Jun 2010, 01:49

Thanks again!

Good we discussed this. It sounds like I could have possibly done some harm to the Ethernet device had I proceeded. Some A/V receivers advertise an IR input jack. I assume the same is true in that case. That is, it is intended for a receiver input only and not a transmitter output to be directy connected. What I would like to see is a single cable with transmitter and receiver tightly coupled such that the flasher does not have to be affixed to the front of the target equipment. I guess I am being too picky.

Regards
SD_Surf

Postby IRTrans » Sat 12. Jun 2010, 07:43

The problem is the same as with the IRTrans. Each manufacturer has its own standard here.

Therefore you can only use the connectors to connect devices made by the same manufacturer.

If you do not want to use the stick-on transmitters you can also use the internal blasters of the IRTrans device.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Ethernet