Generation of extra code ('?' Question mark)

All LINUX related questions (Installation & usage)

Moderator: marcus

Generation of extra code ('?' Question mark)

Postby paulgokke » Mon 19. Jan 2009, 20:34

I have one problem with the combination of the IRtrans software in combination with MythTV.

I have an OrigenAe S10v enclosure, which has the following IRtrans module they call:

VF210 VFD/IR Module.

I installed Gentoo Linux (kernel 2.6.27) on the hardware I purchased, being:

M3N78-EM Asus motherboard.

Currently I am able to control MythTV completely with different remote controls ( The Philips RC197 Vista remote delivered with the S10V and a Logitec Harmony one). I can power on and off the system with the remote, I am able to change the boot message of the VFD and I am able to use both MythTV and Mplayer completely with the system.

I can also use the irw, irexec and irxevent commands.

When I use the debug mode of the irserver application or the irw application and I press buttons in the remote, only one output line is shown.
For example for the arrow down button irw is showing : 7500c380e3000000 00 down mediacenter

When I use irserver in debug mode with : irserver -codedump -debug_code -loglevel 4 /dev/ttyUSB0, I get the following:

Version : D5.08.10
FW SNo : 13898

IRServer Version 6.01.04
[0.0] down mediacenter

This all seems good to me, but when I am in the MythTV application and use the remote control in an Line Edit Field, pressing the arrow down button on each of the remotes generates a question mark. This is not what it is supposed to do, while it should just navigate through a displayed virtual keyboard. Also all other buttons like up, right, left, ok etc. generate a question mark in this case.

Both following lirc config file combinations generate the question mark in the above described case:

begin
prog = mythtv
button = down
config = Down
end

begin
prog = irxevent
button = down
config = Key Down CurrentWindow
end

My question is:

Could you please give me some hints what I could do, to find the cause of this behaviour?

For extra information I attached my current lirc and mediacenter.rem files, both are in the attached rar file.

Best regards,

Paul.
Attachments
questionmarkproblem.rar
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 1930 times
paulgokke

Re: Generation of extra code ('?' Question mark)

Postby IRTrans » Mon 19. Jan 2009, 23:52

No idea what the problem is.

However, it looks like it is a LIRC problem as you are using LIRC clients to process the received IR Codes.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby paulgokke » Tue 20. Jan 2009, 12:09

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

When I don't use the LIRC clients and use irserver as being the replacement for the normal LIRC daemon, I have the same problem.

Note that I don't have the normal LIRC daemon running.

Can you think of some piece of the software chain from the drivers to mythtv whicch could be responsible for the generation of the extra question mark code?

This way I can focus and maybe debug into the problem.

Regards,

Paul.
paulgokke

Postby IRTrans » Tue 20. Jan 2009, 18:30

That is surely a client side problem.

The irserver only gives the name of the remote and command to the LIRC client - all mapping to characters is done by LIRC.
Therefore we have no way to help you here.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to LINUX