irclient on big endian hosts

All LINUX related questions (Installation & usage)

Moderator: marcus

irclient on big endian hosts

Postby Barf » Mon 23. Feb 2009, 06:49

Hi,

I tried to compile the command line client (the current version 6.00.04) for the Linux dBox. This is a host using a PowerPC processor, big endian. It turned out that the program hangs on sending an ir signal. I traced it down to the function SendCommand, to the statement
Code: Select all
   } while (res < buf.statuslen);

It turned out that buf.statuslen is 2048 on the dbox, in the same program on my (littleendian) Linux box however bug.statuslen is 8. Looking at the struct STATUSBUFFER it turnes out that it is a 16 bit integer, so I suspect that it is a byte order issue on the host. Note that if you swap the bytes of 8, you get 2048.
Barf

Re: irclient on big endian hosts

Postby IRTrans » Mon 23. Feb 2009, 11:37

Hi,
I am sorry but currently there is no support for Big-Endian on the GUI Client. Byte swapping would be needed in several places.

We might add that in the future, however we do not have any Big endian platform for testing.

Please note that the irserver SW includes Big endian support (which does not help you a lot ...).

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Re: irclient on big endian hosts

Postby IRTrans » Mon 23. Feb 2009, 11:42

One additional tip: You can use the udp send function of the irclient - it only uses ASCII Data on the network and should therefore run on Big Endian architectures.

The syntax is: irclient <target ip> -udp "snd <remote>,<command>"

Please note that you will need the double quotes ("") because the command string contains whitespace.

You will need to replace <target ip> and <remote> and <command> with your values.

That will work with the irserver and also with Ethernet devices with IR Database.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to LINUX