what irtrans module do I need?

Buying IRTrans devices

Moderator: marcus

what irtrans module do I need?

Postby quimi » Fri 23. Sep 2011, 11:38

First of all, I must apologize for my English.

I need an IR transmitter and receiver to control a PC, a TV and a 5.1 sound system with only one IR remote. I don't know what irtrans module do I need and if my idea is possible.

My Idea is to connect that IR receiver and transmitter to the PC with Linux (and XBMC)(USB if possible), and to learn the IR codes from my TV remote (Panasonic TX-L37E30E) and 5.1 remote (Logitech Z906). Once the computer knows how to communicate with the TV and 5.1, I want to use TV remote to control TV (directly) and to use some useless buttons on that TV remote to control XBMC (the PC receives IR signal and do something) and 5.1 (the PC receives IR signal, translates and send IR signal to the 5.1).

Conceptually I think it's possible, but I don't know technical details and capacity of your IR modules and software.

Could you help me to choose the most suitable module for my application? Do I need the universal learning IR receiver for learn TV and 5.1 remotes?

Thanks and regards,

Quimi
quimi

Re: what irtrans module do I need?

Postby IRTrans » Fri 23. Sep 2011, 23:46

Hi,
in general the IRTrans USB will be able to do what you like.

However, to do IR Translation (use spare buttons to control different devices) you will need to write your own SW.

As an alternative you can use the IRTrans Translator. This device can do IR Translation without a running PC.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby quimi » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 09:03

Hi,
Thanks for your fast reply.

more questions related to IRTrans Translator.
I know that to setup the translation I need a windows computer, but once the translation has been setup:
Could I control the PC connected by USB to IRTrans Translator using linux LIRC? It's LIRC compatible on sending and receiving IR signals?

Is IRTrans Translator compatible with Panasonic and Logitech remotes? There are any return policy if it doesn't work on my system?

Thanks a lot!

Quim
quimi

Postby IRTrans » Mon 26. Sep 2011, 12:59

Hi,
once the translation has been set up it will work without our SW.
In the meantime you can use the GUI Client on LINUX systems with Mono to configure everything you need.

You can use LIRC Clients to send / receive IR Codes.

Our device will be compatible with Panasonic / Logitech remotes.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby quimi » Wed 5. Oct 2011, 08:59

Hi,

Could you tell me what's the difference betbeen IRTans Translator and IRTrans Ethernet with database?

They have the same price and I think the only difference is the interface.

It's possible to use IRTrans Ethernet with DB for translating IR codes without a PC like IRTrans Translador do?

I like very much the hability of wake-on-lan on IRTrans Ethernet, but I don't know if I could get the same funcionality of translating that IRTrans translator do.

Thanks,

Quimi
quimi

Postby IRTrans » Wed 5. Oct 2011, 11:55

Hi,
the Ethernet IRDB device can do the same as the Translator.

The only difference is that the Translator has got a 2nd IR Receiver for 455kHz B&O Codes.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Sales & Marketing