Using OrigenAE x11 with Mythtv

The meeting point for people using one of the IRTrans OEM Display devices

IMPORTANT: Please note that these devices are neither manufactured nor sold by IRTrans. That means we cannot answer any hardware related questions here. Furthermore there is no direct Email support through IRTrans available for these devices.

Moderator: marcus

Using OrigenAE x11 with Mythtv

Postby karlec » Thu 8. May 2008, 02:25

Is anyone using the OrigenAE x11 case with mythtv? I am having a hard time figuring out what driver to install for the receiver for lirc. Any advice/help would be appreciated. thanks
karlec

Re: Using OrigenAE x11 with Mythtv

Postby IRTrans » Thu 8. May 2008, 11:22

Hi,
as LIRC basically only supports "dumb" devices it does not work with IRTrans directly.
Therefore the IRTrans software emulates the LIRC system (lircd). This allows to use any application
that has got a LIRC interface.
Low level tools (like irrecord) cannot be used as the whole low level handling is done by the IRTrans hardware.
As the whole LIRC system is emulated no original LIRC daemons (e.g. lircd) are allowed to run !

LIRC only supports a single zone - therefore there is no multizone support via LIRC.

To use any application via the LIRC interface the approach is quite simple:

1. Do not start any LIRC tools or daemons !
2. Install the IRTrans software
3. Start the irtrans server (irserver)
4. Use the irtrans ASCII Client (irclient) to learn the IR Codes: Simply start it with "irclient localhost"
5. Configure your application to use LIRC for IR remote control

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby karlec » Thu 8. May 2008, 15:01

My problem is that I need to control external devices (vcr, stb, etc...) and the IRtrans device that I own does not transmit (I don't think). How do I use the IRtrans server to transmit through a generic (non-IRtrans) transmitter? I suppose that in theory this should be possible, but I have not been able to accomplish it, thus the reason why I reverted to the use of LIRC. However, in order to get the ir receiver to work with LIRC I need to know what driver to use because the mceusb driver does not seem to be compatible/working so far.

Thanks
karlec

Postby IRTrans » Thu 8. May 2008, 19:33

Hi,
with that I cannot help you.

LIRC only supports dumb devices and the IRTrans SW only supports IRTrans devices.
The only thing you could do would be to buy a standard IRTrans device that can transmit.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby karlec » Thu 8. May 2008, 20:24

OK.

Can irexec and irsend be used with the -no_lirc option? In other words, If I have the irserver and lircd working, can I modify my lircrc file to execute, using irexec, a script that contains an lirc program (e.g. irsend) using lircd?

Thanks
karlec

Postby IRTrans » Thu 8. May 2008, 20:34

In general that is possible, however then you cannot use any LIRC based IR control with the IRTrans device.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby karlec » Fri 9. May 2008, 14:10

How do I get IRtrans and LIRC to cohabitate? The documentation mentions the posible use of irexec and other lirc programs/clients is irsend one of those clients. If so how exactly would you use it as it requires lircd which is not supposed to be running. Is there an alternative to irsend that can be used?

Thanks
karlec

Postby IRTrans » Fri 9. May 2008, 19:57

Hi,
in general there is only one way to have them both:

Start the irserver with the -no_lirc option. However, then you cannot use any LIRC Client with the IRTrans SW.

If you are using LIRC clients with the IRTrans SW you cannot use irsend because the IRTrans OEM Device you
are using cannot send IR.

The problem simply is, that all applications try to use the same socket interface. As only one application
can use one socket there is no way that they can coexist.

As I told you that is no problem with our devices as they can send IR. As you are using an OEM Device
which cannot send IR you have this catch 22.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to OEM Devices