Trigger X10/Insteon from iRTrans LAN Controller and/or iRed?

Support forum for the iRed Mac software

Moderators: marcus, tinbert

Trigger X10/Insteon from iRTrans LAN Controller and/or iRed?

Postby iRTransUser » Tue 3. Mar 2009, 04:37

Hi,

About to purchase several IRTrans Ethernet (PoE) + IRTrans LAN Controller + iRed; Also purchasing Universal Devices ISY-99 X10 / Insteon controller (http://www.universal-devices.com/99i.htm). Think of the ISY-99 as the IRTrans LAN Controller for X10 / Insteon world (i.e. web based, self contained, programmable)

Was wondering, if through software, it would be possible to "bridge" the X10 / Insteon and IR worlds.

I know I can bridge through appropriate hardware (X10/Insteon to/from analog using the analog I/O ports on the IRTransLAN controller)... but wondering if I can do it with software since both the IR Trans LAN Controller, the Mac running iRed and the ISY99 are all TCP/IP devices hooked to the internet

Question #1 : Has anyone successfully managed to initiate X10 / Insteon commands from the IRTrans LAN Controller or iRed (AppleScript) via an ISY-99?

Question #2: Has anyone managed to trigger IR signals from an IRTrans LAN Controller as a result of an X10 / Insteon commands being receievd by an ISY-99?

Can someone give me a high level idea of how you do this? (just looking to know its possible right now and how people approached this problem)

Asking this is the Mac forum...because I will running iRed on a Mac...

Thanks
iRTransUser

Re: Trigger X10/Insteon from iRTrans LAN Controller and/or iRed?

Postby IRTrans » Tue 3. Mar 2009, 12:08

Hi,
the IRTrans Ethernet devices with IRDB and the LAN Controllers have got a very flexible UDP interface:
- They can send IR on receiving an UDP ASCII String
- They can send a freely definable UDP Data package to any port and IP address when an IR Code is received

If your Insteon controller can be controlled via UDP and can send UDP you should be able to connect both devices.

Furthermore iRed can trigger Apple Scripts on receiving IR and can send IR through an Apple Script - no Idea if the Insteon Controller supports Apple Script.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to iRed / Mac