Interference with tv set?

Forum zu Hardwarefragen zum IRTrans System

Moderator: marcus

Interference with tv set?

Postby Lennard » Sun 23. Nov 2008, 14:35

Hello,

For some years I have been using the IRtrans products (usb translator and bus module. blue transparent cases). This week I replaced the TV set with a new one. From that moment it seems that there is some interference between TV set and translator module. Without pressing any remote control button the indicator LED on the modules (both translator and busmodule) flash on a regular bases (it looks a bit like the power up sequence with green and red led). It only stops when the TV set is powered off. The translator module is mounted approx. 10 cm from the bottom of the (Philips) tv set. To make it even more strange, the interference stops after about 15 minutes and everythings seems to work normal. During the "interference" period no IR commands are processed. There is no physical connection between TV and the Irtrans system.

Any idea what the problem might be?

lennard
Lennard

Re: Interference with tv set?

Postby IRTrans » Sun 23. Nov 2008, 16:09

Hi,
that problem is certainly caused by IR noise emitted by your TV set. Plasma TVs are very strong noise emitters,
however some LCD TVs do that, too.

You migh try to switch of the unused (Standard) IR Receiver (when doing B&O Translation) or the HF Receiver.
That can be done in the device settings.

If that does not help we might refit your device with a special shielded IR Receiver.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Lennard » Sun 30. Nov 2008, 14:44

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. The HF receiver was already switched off. I put a blanket over the TV and only then the interference stopped. Therefore 100% sure it comes from the TV. Next question is how to fix it? You mentioned a shielded version of the translator. What kind of shielding can be of help? Put the translator in a dark case with only the IR detection led visible? I already tried to cover up the translator in different ways. So far with no succes. Reducing the TV energy level (possible with the Philips 42 pfl 9603) was also of no help.
On the internet there is a lot about IR interference with TV sets. I cannot think that the only way to solve this is to go to a RF based system.
Do you have any other suggestions? Updating the translator software to a more recent version (current version is 5.03.31)?

regards,
Lennard
Lennard

Postby IRTrans » Sun 30. Nov 2008, 17:47

Hi Lennard,
the IR noise is emitted as a result of the processes in the Plasma TV itself.

The only help here is a special IR Receiver. It is a completely different Receiver that is able to filter out the IR noise.

The price for that receiver is 30 EUR + shipment. You will need to send us the translator for the refit.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Hardware