The problem with sending commands via UDP

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

The problem with sending commands via UDP

Postby simples » Wed 18. Jul 2012, 16:43

I have IRTrans PoE IR VER: E6.08.23 ETH VER: L1.11.00.
I am trying to send a string via UDP when the IR command is received.
In the IRDBUpload window I have selected remote control and target IP address and port (see attached picture). After that I have pressed FLASH button and received message about success.
But when I press the button on the remote control nothing is transmitted via UDP (I have used the network sniffer to ensure that).
What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
IRDBUpload.jpg
IRDBUpload.jpg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 83578 times
simples

Re: The problem with sending commands via UDP

Postby IRTrans » Wed 18. Jul 2012, 17:45

Hi,
first of all you should not use port 21000 - 21000 is used by the IRTrans device to send the binary code information.

Did you click on "Flash" after making the settings? - Otherwise the configuration will not be uploaded to the device.

Furthermore, only IR Commands that are properly recognized will be sent via UDP. You can check that using "Detected IR Commands". UDP sending only works for commands where the name of the command is shown each time you press the button.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby simples » Wed 18. Jul 2012, 19:22

I tried a different port but nothing has changed.
Of course, I click on FLASH after making the settings.
I have checked Detected IR Commands window. All commands are correctly recognized. But no one is transmitted via UDP.
simples

Postby IRTrans » Wed 18. Jul 2012, 19:40

No idea - it surely is a problem with your settings, remote control or network as we have hundreds of customers using this feature.

Please note that a network sniffer in a switched network will not show any packages for different nodes.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby simples » Thu 19. Jul 2012, 10:32

Hello,
I do not think the problem in a network environment. When I replaced IRTrans to the computer with a trivial program that sends UDP packets, it works.
As for the remote control then the names of all learned commands are displayed correctly in the "Detected IR Commands", as I already wrote.
I think the problem is in an IRTrans settings. In particular, what are all these checkboxes mean in the "IRDB Upload" ("Device DB Active", "IRDB receive via LAN reley", "Send IR Code via IRDB Actions", "Line by line send via IRDB Actions", IRDB receive active", "Relais control via LAN relay", "Send codes to AUX RS232 port") and how they should be setted? Why "Send IR Code via IRDB Actions" and "Line by line send via IRDB Actions" are grayed?
Is there any relations between these settings and the settings in the "IP Relay" tab in "Device Status" dialog? And what is "UDP RCV IP/Port" mean in this tab?
I have not found nothing about this in your four-year-old User Manual. Could your help me and "hundreds of customers" to understand all these secret settings?
Thanks in advance.
simples

Postby IRTrans » Thu 19. Jul 2012, 12:35

Hi,
the grayed out settings do not apply to your IRTrans device - they are only used by the Mediacontroller RS232 device.

In general if you keep the default settings of all the Check boxes the UDP Sending will work.

The only important settings for you are:

- Device DB Active has to be set
- IRDB receive active has to be set

Furthermore make sure that you are not running an IR Translation at the same time as that might obviously change the names of the commands.

The UDP Destination IP/Port can be set in two different windows - either here or in the Device Status IR Relay Tab. When it is set in the IRDB Dialog this setting is used. Only if it is not set in the IRDB Dialog the IP/Port in the device settings is used. The 2nd way to set it is only there to be backwords compatible to older versions.

Did you set "Broadcast IR Relay" in the device settings (that would be the default)? Then you should see an UDP Package on port 21000 in any case.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby simples » Thu 19. Jul 2012, 13:48

Of course when I set the "Broadcast IP Relay" I can see broadcast UDP packets on port 21000. However, unfortunately, I do not see anything in the IP/port specified in the "IRDB Upload - IP/Port" or "Device Status - IP Relay - UDP RCV IP/Port" - I tested both versions.
simples

Postby IRTrans » Thu 19. Jul 2012, 15:01

What is the firmware version of your device?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby simples » Thu 19. Jul 2012, 15:14

Here it is: IRTrans PoE IR VER: E6.08.23 ETH VER: L1.11.00.
simples

Postby IRTrans » Thu 19. Jul 2012, 16:15

I just tried it with a similar FW version and it works correctly.

Could you post your .rem file?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Next

Return to Ethernet