Visual C++ 8 install error

Here you can ask all driver / installation questions

Moderator: marcus

Visual C++ 8 install error

Postby Temberwolf » Sat 9. Jan 2010, 19:39

Not a question: I was trying to install IRTrans on a new install of Windows 7 but it reported I had to install Visual C++ 8 manually from windows update. I did a quick internet search for Visual C++ 8 and got back Visual C++ 2008. I installed that and tried installing IRtrans but it still reported I needed Visual C++ 8. A little more looking around and i found that "version 8" of Visual C++ is labeled as 2005. The following links are to microsoft's website to download Visual C++ 2005:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=EB4EBE2D-33C0-4A47-9DD4-B9A6D7BD44DA&displaylang=en for x64 windows
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en for x86 windows
Temberwolf

Re: Visual C++ 8 install error

Postby IRTrans » Sat 9. Jan 2010, 22:00

Thank you for the information.

Normally our installer does install all the runtimes automatically. Here and there that does not work on some systems. No idea why.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby nanoflower » Thu 28. Jan 2010, 14:05

Same problem, I cannot install the software as it cannot download and install the runtimes automatically.
A manual install will not solve the problem as the IR installer does not recognize these.
I am running Win7 x64

You should seriously consider an alternate version of your software that relies on the user having installed the runtimes manually as a requirement instead
nanoflower

Postby IRTrans » Thu 28. Jan 2010, 14:24

Well, then we would have dozens of people trying to install the wrong requirements and wondering why the software does not work.

We have tried that on numerous systems including Vista x64 and it works fine in 99,9% of all installations.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby Andi316 » Fri 28. May 2010, 05:05

Same problem here!

I spent dozens of hours installing the os, and now the only thing that don't work is that irtrans software.

I need a solution!
Andi316

Postby IRTrans » Fri 28. May 2010, 11:28

Please try the latest setup from our website.

We have retested that with several fresh Windows 7 installations and it is working.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby scottlindner » Fri 28. May 2010, 22:25

I'm having the same problem and manually installed the required software. Can you post a direct link to the software version you're referring to?

I tried the version located here and I experienced the same problem.
http://www.irtrans.com/download/setup.exe

As to the comment about dozens of people trying to install the wrong software.. don't you think it's a little silly to make that choice when you have dozens of people smart enough to do the right thing and it still doesn't work?

Scott
scottlindner

Postby IRTrans » Fri 28. May 2010, 22:56

Well, on the other hand we do have hundreds or rather thousands of people that do not have any problems.

Furthermore - what shall we do other than testing on a number of different systems (which is what we do) ?

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby scottlindner » Fri 28. May 2010, 23:39

IRTrans wrote:Furthermore - what shall we do other than testing on a number of different systems (which is what we do) ?

IRTrans

What shall you do?

Provide a build that allows users that paid for your products to bypass the check that is obviously not working. It is not that hard to provide "Advanced" options to allow "Advanced" users to knowingly accept and bypass features of your installer that aren't working correctly. You could also provide a hidden URL to an unbundled set of software for each of the four components that only people that find this forum and thread would know.

As for your thousands of users that are still using XP. What shall you do when they choose to upgrade to 7 like I did today? Shall you ignore them too while insisting they are the unique case you refuse to acknowledge?

Scott
scottlindner

Postby scottlindner » Fri 28. May 2010, 23:56

Hah.. I figured it out after hammering on it for a while. I have not confirmed this but it appears IR Tran fails to install if another version of Visual C++ is installed. It was the minor number that was different but all of the other major numbers were the same. I uninstalled all versions, reinstalled the latest version from the Microsoft website and I was able to install. So it appears the "Fresh OS" testing is what is failing the developers. Something else must have installed a similar version, but not the exact version, IR Trans was looking for in our systems.

Cheers,
Scott
scottlindner

Next

Return to Drivers / Installation