Splitting the External High-power IR LED

Ethernet specific questions and answers - IRTrans LAN, LAN Controller devices

Moderator: marcus

Splitting the External High-power IR LED

Postby heinz » Tue 27. May 2008, 18:44

I imagine it would work great when at a distance, which is probably what it was designed for :)

I'm using the external to control devices in an open cabinet, I.e. TV stand with 2 shelves for devices underneath. It's working pretty good but since I have to mount the IR LED in the center in an attempt to cover all devices it is sometimes unreliable, I.e. takes several 'hits' to get the IR to the device.

What would help tremendously is if the IR LED HEAD could be split to its individual LED's so that I could place one in front of each device. Is that possible by simply separating the head or would it require a special build or is it even feasible?

I'm still experimenting with placement but a separate IR in front of each device would be great. (I can't use the dedicated externals as I have to retain use of the normal remote).

Open to suggestions.

Heinz
heinz

Re: Splitting the External High-power IR LED

Postby IRTrans » Tue 27. May 2008, 19:10

Hi,
in general that should be possible - however you will need to resolder everything and put it together the same way it was.

You could also use the stick-on transmitters. If you place them correctly you will be able to use the normal remote, too.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby heinz » Tue 27. May 2008, 19:37

Some of the IR receivers on the devices are pretty small, I.e. AppleTV. I guess the best would be an IRTrans with 2 transmitter outputs? Would it then be possible to use the stick-on's AND hi-power simultaneously?
heinz

Postby IRTrans » Thu 29. May 2008, 21:24

Hi Heinz,
yes that is possible - the devices with 2 or more IR outputs (PoE and LAN Controller / LAN Controller XL) will allow that.

Please note that it is not possible to use an Ethernet module because it only has one IR output connector.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Ethernet